Saturday, March 5, 2016

A Puni How To

Recently I received some very nice compliments on my puni-style rolags so I thought I would share with you how I make them.  So what's a Puni (pronounced poo-nee)?  It's similar to a rolag and looks like this...

I start with nice clean fleece.  There's a very nice tutorial over at http://araigneestangledweb.blogspot.com/2016/03/wash-day.html  on the simple way to wash your fleece.  Now once you get your fleece all cleaned and dried you're ready to get started.  Here's what you'll need....
A pair of hand carders.  If you don't have hand carders, believe or not, you can actually use a pair of dog flicker combs like these....
they are very inexpensive at Walmart.  I use an old terry cloth towel on my work surface and you'll need a knitting needle in what ever size you want your puni-rolag to be and a sturdy metal comb with long teeth.  OK.  Let's get started.....
Place a small amount of fiber onto the carders and make several blending passes until you have the fibers nicely blended.  Once this is accomplished you'll want to press the fibers deeper into the carder teeth....

this is where that metal comb comes in handy.  Now we're ready to remove those fibers from the carder...

I just ever so carefully lift them up .....

and gently lay them out on the terry towel.

Now place the knitting needle along the bottom edge of the fiber

and begin to roll the fiber onto the needle while pressing it against the towel.  This helps to align those fibers around the needle forming a very smooth tight roll to spin from.  

And now if you want to really get carried away you can roll the whole thing gently in your hands to tidy it up a bit.

Once you get it looking like this......

you just carefully slide it off that knitting needle and totally impress your dog with this very smooth tight roll to spin from!!  

I like to use a short, forward/backward draw to spin a woolen or semi woolen yarn.  This method works very well on fiber with a shorter staple length.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Now I even know those are punis instead of rolags. No one explains this better than you just did and I've been searching everywhere for a decent tutorial. If I hadn't just had a bath and wasn't already in my pj's sitting here in bed, I'd be hauling out some fiber to try this with. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad to help. They're pretty easy to make and really nice to spin from.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting. I love the dogs expression!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so amazingly soft!!!

    ReplyDelete