Sunday, April 10, 2016

Wild Weekend!!!!!

Saturday started off really nice.  The sun was shinning, the Gardener was off for the day watching our Granddaughter's gymnastics meet and I was taking full advantage of the time to get laundry done, the house cleaned......I even baked a pineapple nut bread.  And it turned out beautifully.....
how ever moments after I took this shot of my perfect creation all "you know what" broke loose!!!  I looked up and saw wild dogs attacking my horse in the pasture!!!!  I grabbed a spray bottle of water (in hindsight I prolly could have thought of a better weapon but hey...I was panicked) and shot out the door with Levi right on my heels and the door slammed behind us and LOCKED!!!!!!  So now I'm home alone with no phone (it's on the kitchen counter next to that perfect loaf of bread), no key (that's on my key ring in the car with the Gardener at the gymnastics meet an hour away) and Levi (who's prone to seizures if he gets the least bit excited) locked out there with me and wild dogs having at my horse.  At one point we were all duking it out in the barn and in my horses stall!  This is the stuff nightmares are made of!!!  I managed to get the wild dogs out and the big doors shut but was then stuck in the barn with an injured horse, no phone, and wild dogs outside the doors waiting for me to come out!  Once they Left I needed to get to a phone fast for help!  I ran (and I'm not a runner) as fast as I could across the road to the only neighbor that was home ( a 70 year old sweet southern lady who had a stroke a year ago and is partially paralyzed) and we started making calls!  Of course it's the weekend so the calls were getting us no where because no one works on the week end!   No animal control.......no locksmith and the very first vet I called from her phone book was not available on week ends......we had to  pick the lock to get  the door open again so I could get the number of my equine vet off the refrigerator magnet( this will be moved to the tack room asap)  and put the call in for help.  They came immediately and the rest of the day and evening was spent stitching up all my poor, poor BG's wounds.  He's sedated now, on pain meds and antibiotics and we have a lot of doctoring ahead of us.  Oh.....and that perfect bread is going over to that sweet southern neighbor and her lovely Grand daughter first thing in the morning.  Thank goodness they were there to help us out.  Animal control will be hearing from me on Monday......I'm worried those horrible dogs will come back!

8 comments:

  1. OMG!!! How terrifying! Poor horse, poor you. That is a nightmare. Keep hold of your babies. We had a kitty come to a bad end from a bad dog years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Glad everyone is at least OK, take care. I hope BG recovers sooner rather than later, poor sweetie.

    (P.S. that bread looks GOOD!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WEll I never!! That's a wild scary story. Your poor baby! Yes the bread for the sweet neighbors is perfect. Keep us posted on the healing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so scary. I hope your horse is going to be okay, and that you have sweet neighbours to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awful!!!! Hope your sweet horse will be on the mend right quick and that animal control finds the owners of those dogs. They should be responsible for your vet bills at the very least.

    Thank goodness for sweet neighbors.

    I learned the hard way to keep a key outside, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. eep! what a nightmare!!! good neighbors to the rescue....and that bread was simply meant to be. Hope no permanent scars among any of your babes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Moly. That sounds so scary and frustrating! I am hoping your horse heals fast. I'm grateful for your neighbors availability and kindness. Good luck keeping the wild dogs out! Take good care.

    ReplyDelete